By: Amber Harbin

     Before we learn how to fight off hate, we need to know what the word 'hate' means. According to Merriam-Webster, hate means an "intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury" or an "extreme dislike or antipathy". Hate is a very powerful word and emotion. It has the power to change a life, take a life, and corrupt the soul. If we are not careful, we can let the hate from the other person cause us to hate as well. Hate is a recurring cycle, like a never-ending chain. Someone has to break the chain, make a stand. One way to end hate is to not fuel it whatsoever. Fueling hate with hate causes it to burn larger, harder, and causes more problems than we want. It would be like if a car was on fire and you threw gasoline on it. It wouldn't solve the issue of the car burning, in fact, it would make it ten times worse. That is what hate is like. 
     Hate is a waste of time. It makes you feel worn out, angry, and on edge all the time. I know this because I used to be like that. I would let what people said about me or do to me get under my skin. It made me despise them, not wanting to be in their presence, and I sneered when they came near. Now, when I say them, I am talking about my family members and a few others that were at my old college. I was insecure and was tired of being hated, bullied, and manipulated. I had enough. However, instead of living in love, I walked in hate. I loathed my family for what they did to me and I acted in a snobby way towards my old classmates. In fact, my insecurity caused me to think I was better than them. I was so lost back then and I can't believe I thought that about myself. By not walking in love, I was only complicating the issues and the cycle just kept on going. I finally decided that it was time to stop despising the people that hurt me and I wanted to heal.
      I am a Christian and I believe I can't do anything without God's help. You may have different beliefs, but I believe you can use some of the tips I learned from God to fight off the hatred in this world. Even if you are not a Christian, hating someone is a complete waste of time. It drains your energy and deprives you of your destiny. From personal experience, I feel so much better giving and loving, than being full of hate for people that hurt me. If you want to be happier, you have to learn to walk in love and fight off hate. In the next post, I plan to actually talk about how to fight off hate. I split some of the writing up because I doubt you want to read a never-ending page on one subject. So I think it is best if I split the posts. :)

     Ephesians 4:31-32

     Let all bitterness and indignation and wrath (passion, rage, bad temper) and resentment (anger, animosity) and quarreling (brawling, clamor, contention) and slander (evil speaking, abusive, or blasphemous language) be banished from you, with all malice (spite, ill will, or baseness of any kind).

     And become useful and helpful and kind to on another, tenderhearted (compassionate, understanding, loving-hearted, forgiving one another [readily and freely], as God in Christ forgave you. 


Think about that.

With Love,
Amber
     




Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.